A Day in the Life . . . Somewhere in Time.

A Day in the Life . . . Somewhere in Time. Random photos, from random times, in no particular order.


Classical Blues . . .

A while back, I started posting a photo daily on social media from my lifelong accumulation of images. Some of them are of myself, and others were from the years I worked as a Photojournalism Student while in College at Lane Community College and the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon. While I never seriously pursued Photojournalism as a career choice, somehow, the experience of Photo-journaling my own life caught hold of me. I've been making photographs drawn from my experiences for many years now.

Initially, I posted these images for friends and people who know me, with no caption or additional information. Eventually, I began adding more information to go along with the photo. But each one began with the statement. A Day in the Life . . . Somewhere in Time. Random photos, from random times, in no particular order."


This was my young self, out for a run somewhere on a trip up through Washington State and into the middle of Alberta, Canada.

It is true that every picture tells a story, at least in some way. That function has been a goal with almost every image I've made and collected over time.

Initially, some of the images I will share here are personal, private images of myself, people I have known, and some who have remained close personal friends over the years.

As a photographer, I've been inspired and learned from many people along my pathway. Here are just a few who have been important to my development.

  • One was my 7th-grade Math Teacher and friend, Lloyd Smith. He has taught many people both in the Art of Photography and with the subject matter of his work. He has traveled extensively worldwide and brought back images that inform and enhance our understanding of other people and other cultures.
  • Another was a High School teacher, Gale Jones, who taught the processes and mechanics of photography and the reasons to make photographs. He gave me my first experience developing and printing my own work, which was valuable training I would use later in life.
  • Next were a couple of legends in the world of photojournalism whom I had the opportunity to follow and study how they worked. One was the great Brian Lanker, who worked for the Eugene Register-Guard and was a Pulitzer Prize-winning Photojournalist. He won the prize for his black-and-white photo essay documenting childbirth for The Topeka Capital-Journal. Specifically including the photograph "Moment of Life."
  • Another great photojournalist and Pulitzer Prize winner was David Hume Kennerly. He was a Vietnam War era and eventual White House Photographer. His work captured the conflict in Viet Nam and many historical photos from the White House covering several different Presidents. But his work went far beyond those assignments. He also covered student protests, Robert Kennedy's assassination, the tumultuous events surrounding Watergate, the Middle East, and the fall of the Soviet Union, among many other important historical moments.
  • These and many other wonderful photographers were featured in magazines like National Geographic, Time, Life, and many other publications. These photographers taught me to understand the thinking behind their use of photographs, how to convey information, and just how important it is that each photo tells a story in its own way. Capturing a story within a single frame became another valuable understanding I've tried to put into practice with all of my efforts.
I hope you enjoy this series as much as I have enjoyed making these photos.



Comments