A Day in the Life . . .

 A Day in the Life . . .


As a long-time drummer, musician, and several other things, you'll find that life and your experience take on many forms. Many of us dream of being in the world's greatest bands, famous, and one of the great drummers.

Those are reasonable goals, but not all will play out the same for everyone who embarks on that path. In my career, I've been up, I've been down, I've focused on one thing and then another, always coming back, or should I say, "staying with drumming," as one of the central and more essential parts of my life. 

Yes, I've played on some of the big stages and with some popular bands over the years; I've also spent a lot of time toiling away in the anonymous practice rooms, rehearsal rooms, recording studios, and several different venues, schools, colleges, churches, bars, clubs, public schools, county fairs, concert halls, even a rodeo or two and everywhere in between.

Drums of a subject for Art, in this case a painting in progress.

Recognition is all well and good, but it's not the ultimate goal for me. The best thing about being one of the many participants in the world of drumming is all of the great musicians and artists I've had the pleasure to get to know and the opportunity to spend time with and make great music together. And that is the main thing and really what it's all about. It's about making great art and great music, to be sure, but also all of those significant and enduring relationships with the creative people I have to know.

Lately, I've been posting a series of photographs on my Facebook page, which I call "A Day in the Life . . ." in this series, I post images, usually without comment, until someone asks a question of two. Let the viewer make their own assumptions or determination as to what the photographs are about, what they mean to me, and the life I've lived up until now. I intend to continue to post many more photos I have taken or captured over a long time. I've spent almost as many years as a photographer as a drummer, and both art forms have provided me with genuine joy and a great sense of purpose in what I do. If you're interested, more images and stories will be posted on this site and others. I will also provide links to connect with other information if anyone wants to go deeper. I'm also way overdue for an audio podcast update as well. I'll be working on that.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. There is always more to come. Some things, indeed, the best things, take a long time.

Comments