The Burnside Prophecy - Chapter Four



Chapter Four



“Man! You left my bass out there on the street … my bass, my new bass guitar! We need to go back.”

Todd was serious … and angry.

“Are you crazy, man? Are you freaking crazy?” Denny growled. “You can always get a new bass ... I’ll buy you a new bass, but in case you hadn’t noticed, those were real bullets. They were trying to kill me. Maybe they were trying to kill us both.” Denny kept turning back to see if anyone was following them.

“Why, what did you do?” Todd asked.

“I didn’t do anything … they killed somebody.”

“What … you mean somebody was there, in that car?”

“Yeah, like somebody died. There was freakin’ blood all over the place.”

They sped down the road, away from the parking lot, toward nowhere. It was beginning to sink in. Denny was sweating, tense. His adrenalin pumped. He could barely breathe.

He sat in stunned silence for a moment as they sped down the dark highway. He couldn’t make sense of it. Why were they shooting at me? What’s up with the guy in the old Beater car? Were those people dead?

“This is just too freaking weird for me,” Denny told Todd.

“Shit, man ... I thought you were just messing with me. What’d you do anyway?” Todd said. “Somebody must be like totally ticked off at you.”

“Damned if I know. Let’s get out of here. Just drive, man. I mean it. Just drive. Let’s just get the Hell out of here,” Denny said, fidgeting more with each passing minute.

“We should call the cops,” said Todd.

“Later, can’t you drive this bucket any faster? I’m freakin’ spooked, bro.” Denny clenched his fists around the door handle and the edge of his seat in white-knuckled fear. “It just ain’t safe here, not anymore, not now.”

“I hear that,” Todd said. “This place is freakin’ nuts. That was my new bass, too. You don’t think those guys wanted my bass, do you?”

“No … no bass guitar’s that important. Not enough to kill for it,” said Denny.

“Maybe they were after something they thought we had. I don’t know, maybe they thought we had something, you know ... money … drugs, whatever?” said Todd.

“Who knows? One thing’s for sure ... I ain’t hangin’ around to find out. Let’s go out to Eric’s. We can just chill for a while.”

Eric Johnson was a drummer and recording engineer. He migrated to the United States from his native Nova Scotia, by way of Los Angeles, before landing in the Pacific Northwest. His home studio was humble by professional standards but a comfortable retreat from the craziness of the city. There, Denny and Todd told Eric their wild story.

"Somebody has to know something about this,” said Todd.

“Yeah, but like … who?” Eric asked.

“I don’t know,” said Denny.

“Well, maybe you guys should just stay here for a while,” said Eric, “just to be safe.”

They trusted Eric. His studio was the only place they thought might, in fact, be safe for them. Eric tried to keep a low profile, especially concerning his studio.

“Yeah, let’s just chill. I’ve had enough stress for one day,” said Denny.

“So it’s alright if we just hang with you for a while?” asked Todd.

“Sure,” Eric said, “… but you’ve got to call the cops. Somebody’s been wasted, and you’re both witnesses.” 

Comments