BZZZZZzzzzzzz! -- In the Beginning . . .

By Jeff T Patterson

My sister Karen and her husband Steve Oda are Bee Keepers.  They've been doing this for a few years and have become very . . . um . . . in the know about bees.  Apparently, sometimes bees will abandon their hives.  Those small white boxes the beekeepers and bees seem to be so fond of are often the home to a Queen Bee and thousands of her little tribe.  So Karen brought over an empty Bee Box and set it on my back porch with a tiny thimble container of bee pheromones.  Naturally, the bees are drawn to these pheromones in great numbers, so it appears that a new community of bees, along with their Queen, have moved into the big white box sitting out on one of my porches. 




The bees will swarm to the new location, move furniture, start having parties, and raise a ruckus by buzzing about and telling all their friends that they found a new place to live.  Fortunately, the new bee hive is sitting in a location where they can be safely observed without having to dress all up in beekeeper safety gear. 

So yesterday, they began to swarm and move in.  I pulled out my little Video Cam, shot some video and some stills, and put it together with an Orchestral recording of the Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra, and all of a sudden, my first short film was born.  I uploaded it to my YouTube channel. Unfortunately, the Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra objected to my use of their wonderful, very fitting performance as the soundtrack to my short film. So I was forced to take it down. The display of my first video was very short-lived, much like a bee's life.



So there you have it, my first film which the world may never see. Yeah, it was nothing really special, but bees are kind of fun to watch, especially when there is no way they can get to you and sting you.  We observed some scenes when the camera wasn't rolling that had some fantastic bee action.  As far as we can determine, several bee fights broke out because bees from different hives were all trying to move into the same space.  These fights went on and on.  The was one group of fighting bees that really got into it. They were spinning around and around in what appeared to be a death match. It was amazing to watch them spin around like a child's top, spinning super fast and out of control. This happened several times as we watched.

Now as it's gotten dark and colder outside, the bees have all settled in for the night. Tomorrow, or sometime very soon, my sister will come to get the bees, hive box, and all and move them over to their regular location where presumably the bees will be very happy, very busy, and will make lots of fresh honey.  They are amazing.  

Since this was first written, I've been fortunate to acquire some samples of the Honey directly made by the bees in this hive. It is wonderfully sweet flavored and, from what I'm told, quite a healthy item to eat as well. The advice I've received is to take a tablespoon-sized portion of Honey every day simply because it tastes great and is good for your health. In short, whatever you do, support the BZZZZZzzzzzzz!


Comments