Review: A Short Review: "The Art of Fiction" by John Gardner

The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers


The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers by John Gardner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am trying to remember when I bought this book, but it had to be sometime around 1989. During that time, I began to think more seriously about writing fiction. Much of my reading before that time was directed more at non-fiction. Life being what it is, it wasn't until I finished writing my first novel that I finally found the time to complete this delightful book. Now that I've released a novel as an e-book, I can look back at John Gardner's "The Art of Fiction" and understand it through a whole new lens. I went back to the beginning of the book and began rereading it, and now I get more of what he was talking about than when I first started reading it so many years ago. Now I can see the great sense of humor John Gardner brings to his writing. It's the kind of laugh-out-loud, dry wit that I enjoy. I plan to reread this book. I highly recommend it.



Comments